Saturday, July 20, 2013

This isn't Kansas or Walking the Fine Line

The adrenaline and excitement running through my veins while I drove home three hours after my interview and basic knowledge of knowing I would be offered the job. 
One of my first calls wasn't to brag to anyone, or share my great news. I called my brother. We aren't close, we talk, but it is all just "polite" conversation, most of the time. 
He was in the military for the majority of his adult life and just retired. I had one question for him. 

"How safe is the UAE?" 

"Safer than where you are living today." 

was his answer. 

If you are friends with me on Facebook, this is a post I shared of my thoughts on safety in the UAE. 

Excerpt: 
In the UAE, I have hitch hiked and thought nothing of getting a ride with a complete stranger somewhere and they thought nothing of picking me up. I surmise it is very much like living in the United States in the 1950's. I can leave my purse in my basket at the store and not worry. If I lose something in a taxi it is quickly returned with pleasure. The people are friendly, respectful and will help you with whatever you need, regardless of what it is. They open up their homes to you and offer you a meal or tea/coffee. 


Sitting in the passenger seat of a comfy and decked out pickup a few weeks ago, I started questioning my sanity. 
"Are you insane? Why are you in a pickup?, with an Arab man you do not know?, who is taking you to a hospital way out in BFE (almost literally) that you don't know where is? What made you think it was ok to get in a vehicle with a stranger that has driven for more than 30 minutes toward the desert?" 

Then I got out my mobile and asked a friend via text where the hospital was located. 
Sure enough, it is BFE and this wonderfully kind man offered me a ride (even after learning where I was going). 

We arrived on time, he was nice and expected nothing in return. It was over 50 AED to get back after my appointment. 

How did this happen? My thought was to leave my accommodation to catch a taxi to the hospital since I didn't know where it was. Takes the stress off of driving around in circles to find anything here. So I was walking to the nearest taxi stand and a man on a white horse rode up beside me in a white pickup pulled up beside me. He asked if I was ok and if I needed a ride. My hair is blond in the back (as I am letting the gray grow out) and I have a feeling this might have been part of the reason, but I still was happy to have a ride in a pickup (rarer than the SUV here unless it is a workers vehicle). 
I didn't think twice about getting in the truck or that he wouldn't do what he said he would. 

Of course, I have lived in the western region and went walking for exercise and was asked if I needed a ride somewhere. 

I have never felt safer. That being said... things do happen here that are not what an American would think are safe or fair. 

My advice is: 

Watch your behavior when out in public. 
Don't be impolite or fly the bird to anyone. Follow the road rules which is to let the locals drive as they want and stay out of their way as much as possible.
 Keep your expletives as I do, to myself in my car and who ever else is riding with me. 
If you choose to indulge in cocktails, watch your behavior and who you talk to. 
Don't turn into Natalee Holloway only older. 
Choose to have parties at home or take a taxi going to and from gatherings at local hotels. 

IF YOU WATCH WHAT YOU DO AND SAY AND DRESS WITH PRECAUTION or like me, you are an older woman with no desire to have children, you will be fine. 

This is not your country, they don't have the freedoms you may have taken for granted in the past. When in Rome... 

Things we see as injustices here are due to the laws and beliefs of the nation, and not our home nation. 
The closest thing to something that "smelled" like a scary situation was someone in a parking lot trying to fence stolen mobile phones. Even that happens here. 

Hope that helps. Stay safe and be happy that you can shop here like it is the 1950's... you can leave a bag anywhere and it will be there when you get back. 


No comments:

Post a Comment