Thursday, July 11, 2013

Technology Ideas to Consider

When you first arrive you will need several copies of your documents, in particular your passport info page and your temporary visa. You can never have enough copies. Sometimes, when asked for it, you can have them make a copy of your copy, but most of the time, they will take the one you gave them. I brought 10 color copies and 10 b/w and it still wasn't enough. I was truly glad I had scanned and saved these on a flash drive, along with all my documents that I had to have stamped and attested. 
Even after being here two years, I am still asked for copies different times of year, and even by my employer. Do not think that you are "done" after you get your electronic copies sent in before coming to the sandbox. 
Copies in the hotels can vary from "free" for the first few who ask, to a buck or more a copy when they figure out everyone needs them. 
Buy a printer that will work with your laptop and print them in the hotel if you want to. I bought a cheap one for about 35 USD when I needed other copies, as did others. 

Flash drives, memory cards, if you have them, are great to bring, but are very readily available here and very competitively priced. Almost all of the hotels will be a short taxi ride from a mall, Carrefour or Lulu's or all three. 


Books are pricey here and so it is great to have a Kindle or some kind of E-reader. If you are true "bookworm" like me, you can still get your hands on those lovely pages of a real book, but my Kindle has given me access immediately to some texts I can't get as easily any other way. Plus, on my I-pad, I can show children's books on the screen at school. 


The schools use Windows and Office, and some of their interfaces on my Mac do not work well at home, but I still prefer my Mac. Did have Office for Mac installed as soon as I could, but others get away without it. Personal choice. There are so many viruses here, I was wanting to avoid them at all costs. 


For communicating with those at home. It is getting easier all the time with no or little cost. My skype acct has a phone number that friends can call from any line and leave a message if I don't have it on. I haven't seen the need for a magic jack, but others do prefer them. 


Since being here, I have purchased a new laptop, Apple TV, and Buffalo router and I am very happy with all my choices in Technology and I use all of it daily, well almost daily. 


3 comments:

  1. I had read this comment on FB also. Was glad to hear it as I had one hard copy set ready but none on a flash/thumb drive. I will come prepared.Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read on the FB page that the kindles don't work well there. I really want to bring mine and get another for my son before we leave. What would you say?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had any trouble at all with my kindle. I use kindle for IPad as well and love them both.... I would say to get what you need... I don't know of any issues with Kindle users and would be interested in knowing where you heard / read it.

    ReplyDelete