Thursday, July 11, 2013

Finding a Case that Suits You

Probably just about everyone has a suitcase or a set of them for when they travel. When I first found out I would be packing my life in two bags and moving across the world, I didn't give much thought to cases I would use. That has since changed. 
Keep in mind that the case isn't going to just get you and your stuff here. You will need a suitcase when you go on holiday to all the wonderful places you will travel once you are here. You will want to take trinkets back to your home country for friends, family and possibly for when you leave the sandbox and return home. You will also need them to carry things back and forth when you travel home to visit. 

The weight of your suitcase takes away from the possible items inside you could be taking so make sure it is a lightweight bag. 
I prefer one with wheels and two are great, but 4 really rock. I am getting too old to lug a duffel bag, but I wish I still could. 

Storage is a commodity here. There is no hall closet to stash your suitcase here. They sit behind living room doors, on top of Wardrobes, in under bed storage or sit out in your spare room, or worse, your bedroom. 

Someone shared what they used for luggage and I think it is pretty darn near perfect. 


CWC 30 Inch Foldable Duffle Travel Bag By Coldwater Canyon



There is another one that REI carries, but it isn't as inexpensive. The nice thing about these is that they are easily replaceable. 

Finally, remember, you can bring two suitcases, 3 suitcases, or a shipping container full. It has to do with your comfort level. 
I am a gatherer. I like to live in a home that looks like a home, not a hotel room or a barracks. I came with three suitcases and I will leave at the end with two. (and maybe 6 dining chairs from Australia that I am not sure I can part with) 

I wish I had only brought two in the beginning. Now when I go home I take two home and bring back one. 

Please understand that you can adjust to life here and will wonder why you thought you couldn't live without something. 

Pack smarter that I did. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this post as I am in the process of packing my very new (and matching)set of luggage. I know this is the desert and I lived in Phoenix for 6 years but should I bring clothing for cooler weather? I'm a jeans and nice blouse kinda girl, will this fly there or will I be limited to the long skirts I purchased? Help!!

    ReplyDelete