Wednesday, July 10, 2013

"Packing your life in two bags! Are you kidding me? How to do this and be happy."

The title of this post and of the blog was written by a teacher coming to the UAE in 2013. Instead of choosing it myself, I created a voting system and her title won the most votes. I asked her for her suggestion for the first post and here it is.

I actually brought three bags and wish I had only brought two. One was filled with school supplies I have not used for the most part.

If I had it to do over again, here is what I would pack:
(Women) For work
Two outfits for school. One long skirt or dress (to the floor),
one knit long sleeve jacket/cardigan light weight,
2 long sleeve round neck,
 somewhat dressy t'shirt (if you can find them),
a pair of dress pants that are light weight,
and two comfy pair of work shoes.

For leisure:

Favorite outfits to wear for regular errands, hanging at home, going to the beach, traveling where it is cold and for parties.
Sport shoes, swimsuit, and undies of course.
Boots or shoes to wear if I traveled somewhere cold and a light-medium jacket.

(Men) For work- based on what I have read on FB posts

dress pants,
button downs,
a tie or two,
a jacket for special days
polos

For leisure:


Same as for the ladies.


Toiletries:


Suntan lotion (it is outrageously expensive here)

deodorant (my brand isn't here and many here don't really work as well)
Potion #9 hair product - hard enough to find in the states, so it isn't here (personal preference)

For school:


Sharpies

Crayola Crayons
favorite books (for KG) that have fewer words and great pictures
construction paper
small containers to use on the table with different compartments (just me, something that would work can be found here)
and finally, a few things that will help you when you are homesick. My Tervis Tumblers and favorite coffee cup work for me, along with my favorite coffee brand.

Let all your preconceived notions of thinking you NEED everything to come with you go.

You can find a similar, if not the same thing, here. If you have a few tried and true and think you can't live without them, then you make the choice.
Clothes can be found here, although larger sizes are bit more difficult they can be found once you know where to go.

Happy Packing! You will be fine, really, really you will.



No comments:

Post a Comment