Monday, July 22, 2013

Guest Post- Surprises- Guest Post

Below is a little insight from another sandbox friend. 


I have always been a planner.  But of course that comes with the territory, doesn’t it?  Teachers are planners.  Most of us love making plans, though admittedly at some times the time required to plan seems to get in the way of what’s actually being planned.    That’s irony, teacher style.


Now as I’m getting older, I seem to be discovering another passion, the thrill of being surprised!  In fact I think it’s become one of the great joys of life.  As I think back over the course of my life and career (they aren’t the same?), the surprises that came to me seem much more interesting than those things that I planned and expected.I came back to the States from Kuwait in 2001 wanting to buy a house.  And lo, 7 years later, I was returning to the Middle East.  As I was sitting at my desk one day, out of the blue came a call from an old supervisor in Kuwait, “What are you doing?  Want a job?”  And that’s how I continued the journey that was to put me in Kuwait for a total of 7 years.  Hmmm… I was waiting for a flight for Kuwait one day, looked up and noticed the Gate Number, 7.  I got on the flight and, lo and behold, seat 7, row G, the 7th letter.  Hmmm…I got to Kuwait and the 7’s were popping upeverywhere.  Now I’m not generally superstitious, but I began thinking maybe God was trying to tell me something.  I began thinking back over things and I saw patterns of 7.  Masters in 1991, flight to Kuwait in 1998.  Graduate program in 2005. Return to the States in 2012.  Intervals of 7.  Hmmm…
I am coming to the point in life that I like surprises.  And this is how I look at this new opportunity in Abu Dhabi.  Maybe I won’t see patterns of 7 when I get there, but I just know that there are going to be many good and glorious surprises.  With a little willingness to pay attention to people, I’m open and hopefully wide awake.  Oh, God, don’t let me sweat the small stuff and be aware of the wonderful surprises that are just around the corner.
Meanwhile, I guess I’ll have to think about plans for this trip…are the suitcases packed?  




x

No comments:

Post a Comment