Thursday, July 18, 2013

Orientation- You Can Bank On It

In the first few days in the hotel, you will be made aware of a meeting or two. One will be to welcome you. One will be somewhat informative. Another one to help you get things in order, such as banking, phone, housing assignments etc. 

Meetings here are usually short, once they begin. If you know MaƱana Time, then you will understand Insha'allah time. 
The idea of orderly fashioned lines and progress from one area to the next is really a new concept. It might be better than when I arrived. I will say that two years ago, it was so frustrating for the Type A, strong personality of order and common sense, in every hotel someone took over the mic and started directing people to different areas. It was quite humorous to watch. Part of me wanted to be the one with the microphone and part of me just wanted to go back to the room and nap until the chaos passed. I chose the latter. 
One of the tables will be to get your banking set up. They use one bank, National Bank of Abu Dhabi. Some people have had trouble with NBAD, and have had their banking switched to another one. I haven't had any trouble and am still banking with them. One of the main questions people ask is about sending money home. 
As with many things, banking here is a personal choice and your transfers are as well. Many people transfer money online and pay a lower charge than if they went into the bank to do it. I have always used my happy, sweet teller, that was on Delma Island, because I could get all my banking needs taken care of at once. I have already learned that in the city, the service is not as "small town friendly" as it was in the west. 
Some use the exchange places to send money home and say it is cheaper. I have only used them to exchange currencies when traveling. Some of them offer better exchange rates than others. Recently exchanged at Lulu's for my trip home and was really happy with the exchange rate there. 
As far as your bank in the US. Check their rates and charges for overseas transfers. Make sure you have their info and IBAN numbers. I have two accounts in the US and am switching them both when I am home this time to a local bank and one that doesn't cost me money to transfer. It is a personal choice, so choose what works for you. Transferring money home is easy, painless and can be done without costing you more money. I transfer, then I use bill pay for bills at home or transfer money to my college age children. Easy peasy. 

Along with your bank account set up, they will have someone asking you to sign up for a credit card. First, I will say I don't have any credit cards in the states, and am glad to be debt free. I didn't want a credit card, but it is imperative to have one to rent a car, so I did sign up for it. 
It works best to pay it off each month when you get paid, so that your car rental, if you choose to have one, will be paid and not add up. 

One of the tables will be wanting you to sign up for a sim card from the main mobile and internet company, Etisalat. There is another company here, but if you don't know your location assignment yet, it is best to go with the one mentioned. The coverage area of the other one is not as vast or as strong in all parts of the emirates. 
Personally I waited for almost a month, when it was requested of all of us to have a mobile number, then I purchased one with a phone. I am not a phone snob, I just want one I like and has the features I need. 
So I didn't bring an "unlocked" phone with me. As much technology as I have, I am very low tech in some ways. 



2 comments: