Friday, July 12, 2013

De Plane De Plane... No Really, What to Expect When You De Plane

3 flights, 2 plane changes and a layover in Doha in the late evening hours, the plane touched down in Abu Dhabi. Sounds like the hard part is over right? And now all the fun begins. 

First you will either ride a shuttle or walk until you think you can't walk any further, there may be stairs involved. Please keep in mind you will be dragging a carry-on along with you. 

It is a bit fuzzy as to what happens in what order, so forgive me. 
You will stand in a line to have your eyes scanned and it isn't a big deal, but you can't wear contacts for it. 

 You will stand in a line to have your passport stamped. 

Someone from the company they have book the flights will meet you and give you your copy (temporary) of your work visa. 

They will ask you to meet outside to get on a "van" to travel to the hotel. 

I walked right outside, but many people took the time to visit the duty free shops. Honestly, I didn't even think about it. 
Decide what is best for you. 

When you approach the sliding doors to the front of the airport and toward the "bus', prepare yourself. 

Have you ever walked into a steam sauna fully dressed? You will soon. 

Then some guys will be loading your luggage, along with the luggage of a hundred or so others, into a huge open truck. They cause me to wonder how they can stand out in the heat, in the middle of the night and load a truck with heavy luggage. 

You will climb into a bus-like van vehicle with others who are going to the same hotel. The person who gave you your visa will probably also give you a name tag and it will have some way to communicate what hotel you will go to. 

Get to know you fellow teachers on the bus. Enjoy the ride.
When you get to the hotel, they will sweep you in, offer you a juice drink and will have your key to your room ready so you shouldn't have to really wait for anything. 

This might be a good place to say that the people here do not do "lines" or "waiting". Things are improving but most of the time, people will just crowd around and think they should be waited on next. Your first experience with this concept, or lack thereof, could be at the airport. 

When you unlock your room door, I hope it is as nice as when we arrived two years ago. If it is, you will want to take pictures. jump on the bed, and basically do the Happy Dance. 

Enjoy it while it lasts. 
Calm down til you can rest. If you aren't sleepy, then unpack and prepare to be in the room about 3 weeks. 

The first week will be like a vacation. 
The second week it will feel like a second home. 
The third week you will be ready to have a "real" home. 

or then again, you might not ever want to leave. 

If you can't sleep, Spinney's is a grocery shop, a bit pricey, but mostly Expat products, and they are open all night. Take a taxi and take a look around, use the atm and buy some snacks for the hotel. 

Tips: 
If you wear contacts, have your case and solution close, or wear your glasses.
My carry-on's are now backpacks or have a shoulder strap and/or wheels
Go to the restroom before the plane lands. 
Check with the front desk about internet usage and make a deal for it. 
If you need copies for any reason, ask the front desk before everyone else does. 
Ask them to empty your mini bar so you can use the fridge for other stuff, but remember it won't be cold enough to keep food good, will  just keep it cool. 
Most of the hotels will send a bucket of ice to your room for free. 

5 comments:

  1. thanks for that info! I have a question.....I am a bit worried about trying to get to the hotel with possibly 3 suitcases and a carry-on.....is this something that I should consider? Should I try and limit my belongings to two suitcases to be more manageable? thanks about the info on contacts....I will wear my glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will only have to lug your suitcases to your airport, and if it is a connecting flight to an international flight, from one gate to another, so that shouldn't be a detraction. Upon arrival in the UAE, you will have help getting all your checked baggage and someone else will load and unload them for transit to the hotel. With that being said, I would still advise you to get it all down to two suitcases and a carry on. Save yourself some money and know that you can get just about everything here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy this is exactly what I need, I am coming from New Zealand and have never travelled further than Australia. So I have no idea how this will all pan out. Thanks to you now I have some idea of what to expect, I hope you realise how appreciative I am and I am sure others are too. Looking forward to meeting you as well in person.
    Carolyn Rogers

    ReplyDelete
  4. What the airlines allow and don't allow does change, but my experience has been that they consider the laptop bag as a personal item and it is allowed without additional charges. I usually have to put my purse in my computer backpack and call it my personal item. Again, it is a person by person experience... sometimes they count my bags and weigh them, sometimes they don't, depends on the person at the counter. Sometimes they take the combined weight of them to make sure they aren't overweight, sometimes I have to move things from one to another. Best of luck, sounds like you have made some good choices and kept the cost to yourself minimal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great help this was, Cindy! I had worried about the same. Knew that from one plane to another my checked baggage would be transferred, but I could only imagine the comedy show I would put on trying to carry/push 2 large and one small suitcase! It is a relief to know that I wont have to do that!

    ReplyDelete